Are you wondering how to tell which Ring Doorbell you have? If so, this guide is for you. Whether it’s a Ring Video Doorbell 2, Pro, or Elite, the process of determining which one you own is relatively simple.
With just a few steps and some basic information about your device, we can help you identify which version of the doorbell belongs to your house. We will also cover what features each model offers and provide tips on selecting the right product for your needs.
So if you’re ready to find out more about choosing the best Ring doorbell for your home, let’s get started to learn more about how to tell which ring doorbell I have.
How Many Types of Ring Doorbell Are There
There are several types of Ring Doorbells, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Here are some of the most popular types of Ring Doorbells:
- Ring Video Doorbell: The original Ring Doorbell features motion-activated HD video, two-way talk, and live view.
- Ring Video Doorbell 2: An upgraded version of the original Ring Doorbell, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 has improved video quality and customizable motion detection zones.
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro: This model has a sleeker design and more advanced features, including customizable motion detection zones and the ability to connect to existing doorbell wiring.
- Ring Video Doorbell Elite: The Ring Video Doorbell Elite is a professional-grade model that connects to Ethernet for a more reliable connection and allows for even more advanced features like customizable motion detection and dual-band Wi-Fi.
- Ring Peephole Cam: A unique option that replaces your existing peephole, the Ring Peephole Cam has a discreet design and features motion-activated HD video, two-way talk, and live view.
- Ring Door View Cam: Similar to the Peephole Cam, the Ring Door View Cam replaces your existing door viewer and offers motion-activated HD video, two-way talk, and live view.
- Ring Video Doorbell 3: This model offers improved motion detection and dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity for a more reliable connection.
- Ring Video Doorbell 4: The Ring Video Doorbell 4 offers improved video quality, customizable privacy zones, and quick replies that allow you to respond to visitors with pre-recorded messages.
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2: The most advanced Ring Doorbell yet, the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 features 3D motion detection, improved video quality, and a wider field of view.
Each of these Ring Doorbell models has its own unique features and benefits, so it’s important to choose the one that best fits your needs and preferences.
Why It Is Important to Know how To Tell Which Ring Doorbell I Have
It’s important to know which Ring Doorbell model you have for several reasons:
Compatibility with Accessories:
Different Ring Doorbell models may have different dimensions and specifications, which can affect their compatibility with various accessories such as mounts and faceplates. Knowing which model you have can ensure that you purchase the right accessories that fit your device.
If you experience any issues with your Ring Doorbell, knowing the model can help with troubleshooting. Different models may have different troubleshooting steps or require different solutions, so it’s important to identify which model you have.
Ring Doorbells receive regular software updates to improve their performance and add new features. Knowing which model you have can help you ensure that you have the latest software version installed and can take advantage of any new features.
Replacement or repair:
If you need to replace or repair your Ring Doorbell, you must know the model to ensure that you purchase the correct replacement part or contact the right customer support team.
Knowing which Ring Doorbell model you have can help you make the most of your device, troubleshoot any issues, and ensure compatibility with accessories and software updates.
Step-By-Step Guide on How to Tell Which Ring Doorbell I Have
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to tell which Ring Doorbell you have:
Step 1: Look at the Physical Design:
Start by looking at the physical design of your Ring Doorbell. Different models have different shapes and sizes, so this can help you narrow down the model you have.
Step 2: Check the Version Number:
On the back of your Ring Doorbell, you should see a version number printed. This can help you identify which model and generation the device is from.
Step 3: Check the Support Page:
If you’re still unsure, you can check Ring’s support page to look up information about your specific model. You’ll be able to find details about the features and specifications of your Ring Doorbell, as well as any software updates or troubleshooting steps.
Step 4: Check the Product Packaging:
Check your product packaging if you still can’t identify which Ring Doorbell you have. You can also contact customer support for assistance if it isn’t available.
Step 5: Check the Ring app:
Open the Ring app on your smartphone and navigate to the Devices section. Look for the device corresponding to your Ring Doorbell, and tap on it. The name of the device should include the model number.
Step 6: Check the Ring website:
If you can’t access the Ring app, you can visit the Ring website and log in to your account. Navigate to the Devices section and look for the device that corresponds to your Ring Doorbell. The model number should be listed next to the device name.
Step 7: Check the Device Label:
Flip your Ring Doorbell to the backside, and look for the device label. The model number should be listed on the label.
Tips to Keep Your Identified Ring Doorbell Safe
Here are some tips to keep your identified Ring Doorbell safe:
- Keep the device updated: Regular software updates are released for Ring Doorbells to improve performance and fix security vulnerabilities. Make sure to keep your device updated to ensure that it has the latest security patches.
- Set up two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your Ring account by requiring a verification code in addition to your password. Set up two-factor authentication to prevent unauthorized access to your Ring Doorbell.
- Choose a strong password: Use a strong, unique password for your Ring account to prevent hackers from gaining access to your device.
- Enable motion detection and alerts: Turn on motion detection and alerts so that you are notified when someone is at your door. This can help deter potential intruders and allow you to monitor your property even when you’re not at home.
- Customize your privacy settings: Ring Doorbells have privacy settings that allow you to customize how your device functions. For example, you can set up motion zones to avoid capturing areas that you consider private. Make sure to customize these settings according to your preferences.
- Keep your Wi-Fi network secure: Make sure that your Wi-Fi network is secured with a strong password and is set up with the latest security protocols. This can help prevent unauthorized access to your Ring Doorbell through your Wi-Fi network.
- Use a strong mounting bracket: Use a strong mounting bracket to prevent your Ring Doorbell from being easily tampered with or stolen.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your identified Ring Doorbell is secure and functioning optimally.
Which Ring Doorbell Is Best for Use
The best Ring Doorbell for use depends on your budget, needs, and preferences. Generally speaking, the newer models are more feature-rich and have better performance than their older counterparts. However, some of the more basic models can still provide a good level of security for your home. Consider the features you need in a Ring Doorbell and compare different models to find the one that best suits your needs.
Ultimately, you should choose a Ring Doorbell compatible with your Wi-Fi network, has all the features you need, and fits within your budget. With the right device, you can ensure that your home is secure and monitor who accesses it even when you’re away.
If you are still not sure which Ring Doorbell model is best for you, you can
Contact customer support or consult product reviews online for more information about the different models and their features. This can help make it easier for you to identify the right Ring Doorbell for your needs. With the right device, you can keep your home safe and secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my Ring Doorbell doesn’t have a visible model number?
If you cannot find the model number on the device or the packaging, contact Ring customer support for assistance.
What if my Ring Doorbell looks different from the pictures of the models?
Ring occasionally updates its designs, so if your Ring Doorbell looks different from the pictures, it may be a newer or older version of the model.
How can I upgrade my Ring Doorbell to a newer model?
You can purchase a new Ring Doorbell model and follow the installation instructions to replace your current device. However, keep in mind that newer models may have different installation requirements or compatibility issues.
Identifying which Ring Doorbell you have is as easy as looking for the model number on the back of your device. If it’s not there, look at your app or website to see if that information is available. Additionally, using a visual comparison can help you identify what type of doorbell you own by comparing its features with those listed in our guide above. Knowing exactly which Ring Doorbell you have will make troubleshooting and installation much easier and ensure that any accessories or parts are compatible with your device. With these tips in mind, identifying your exact Ring Doorbell should be simple! Thanks for reading the article about how to tell which ring doorbell I have.